The EcoFans Club is a program designed to raise and promote environmental awareness and consciousness through an educational process combining ecology and English language learning.
The EcoFans Club aims to:
- instill an appreciation of the value of each individual and the importance of responsible social and community behavior
- develop a sense of environmental awareness among its members of the environment and help them communicate this awareness to others through their own example
- develop opportunities for direct environmental action in areas such as recycling, energy conservation, water and air pollution.
Who they are
The EcoFans Club main group consists of students attending the Hellenic America Union English Language program at the following levels:
- Level: Young Learners 1 and 2 (Junior A and B)
- Level: Adolescents A and B (A and B Senior)
- Level: Adolescents C and D (C and D Senior)
Other participants are:
- Parents of students
- Students of the Hellenic American University
- Guest schools and institutions invited either to co-host or co-organize particular events
- Friends of members and guests
- Members from the general public
The EcoFans Club educational philosophy
“We change ourselves before changing our neighborhood, we change our neighborhood before changing the world.”
The EcoFans Club is a network in which individual members try to change their way of viewing the world and through this change they try to change their neighborhood and the world. The members of the team try to learn more about the environment, to learn more about themselves and the others, to improve their neighborhood and the world even more.
EcoFans members seek to protect the environment not through aggressive ecological activism but by setting an example of everyday behavior.
The coming together of EcoFans members is a special process of education which improves their perception of the environment and broadens their horizons.
The EcoFans Club links environmental concerns with education and specifically with English language learning through:
- in-class preparation in the English Language program courses
- language skills practice during field trips and events
- in-class follow-up activities after field trips and events