Description of the TOLES Advanced
The TOLES Advanced has a heavy focus on the vocabulary andgrammar required for contract drafting. Commercial awareness, knowledgeof international legal terminology and sensitivity to use of register in variouslegal documents are also essential skills assessed in theTOLES Advanced exam. The examination lasts 2 hours and it tests legal reading and writing. Please note that although TOLES is a no-fail exam, a low score will not demonstrate satisfactory knowledgeof Legal English required by employers.
Explanation of TOLES ADVANCED Grades (max 500)
- GOLD (451-500) This candidate has excellent general English skills and is assessed as having EXCELLENT legal English skills.
- ORANGE (401-450) This candidate has very good general English skills and is assessed as having VERY GOOD legal English skills.
- RED (301-400) This candidate has well-above average English skills and GOOD legal English skills.
- PURPLE (201-300) This candidate has good general English skills and is assessed as having SATISFACTORY legal English skills.
- BLUE (101-200) This candidate probably has an above average level of general English and is assessed as having APPROACHING SATISFACTORY legal English skills.
- GREEN (0-100) This candidate may well have a good knowledge of general English but is assessed as having ONLY BASIC Legal English.