Nonstandard Test Accommodations for the TOEIC® Listening and Reading and the TOEFL® Junior™
The Educational Testing Service (ETS®) and the Hellenic American Union are committed to serving test takers with disabilities by providing services and reasonable accommodations that are appropriate given the purpose of the test. Nonstandard testing accommodations are available for test takers who meet the requirements.
All requests for accommodations must be approved in accordance with ETS® and/or Hellenic American Union policies and procedures, and must be made on the respective Request for Nonstandard Testing Accommodations form.
All requests for testing accommodations must be reviewed and approved before a test can be scheduled. All materials must be submitted together.
Types of Accommodations or Modifications
- extended testing time
- additional rest breaks
- recorder to mark answers
- alternate test formats, e.g. Braille, enlarged print
- alternate response formats, e.g. computer for writing section
- wheelchair access
- Documentation must be issued by a licensed or certified professional who is qualified to evaluate the examinee's disability.
- All documentation in a language other than English must be translated into English.
- The translation should be certified by an authorized professional or authority such as a lawyer of the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs Translation Service.
- Either the original certified translation or a certified copy of the original certified translation can be submitted.
- All documentation should be submitted to the Hellenic American Union Center for Examinations and Certifications at least ten days before the test date.
- If your request for accommodations has been approved by the Hellenic American Union within the last two years, and your documentation is still current, you may request the same testing accommodation for any TOEIC® Listening and Reading and TOEFL® Junior™ test.
Submission of requests
- To make a request for Nonstandard Test Accommodation, interested candidates should complete the respective Nonstandard Testing Accommodation Request Form and submit it to the Hellenic American Union Center for Examinations and Certifications with all relevant documentation.
- All materials should be submitted at least ten days before the test date.
Download the required form:
- Request for Nonstandard Testing Accommodations Form_ TOEIC® Listening and Reading
- Request for Nonstandard Testing Accommodations Form_ TOEFL® Junior™
Denial or modification of requests
Requests for accommodation may be denied or modified, or test results may be invalidated if:
- The documentation is submitted at the time of the examination or after the examination.
- The documentation is not from a qualified professional.
- The disability is not clearly described and does not clearly define the extent of the disability. (For example, “poor eyesight” or “psychological difficulties” are too vague descriptions.)
- The documentation is outdated and does not describe the examinee’s current functioning.
- The documentation shows that the disability does not affect the examinee’s test performance.
- There is disagreement between the individual requesting accommodation and ETS® regarding the type of accommodation requested (e.g. amount of time by which test can be extended or mode of presentation)
ETS® will not release any information regarding an individual's diagnosis or medical information without his or her informed written consent or under compulsion of legal process. Information will be released only on a "need to know" basis, except where otherwise required by law. Furthermore, to safeguard the confidentiality of individuals with disabilities, evaluators may withhold or redact any portion of the documentation that is not directly relevant to ETS®'s criteria for establishing a disability and a rationale for requested testing accommodations.