How the ALCE™ is scored
The Listening and GVR sections are scored by computer and the application of specialized software, using the principles of Item Response Theory.
Using scales and procedures established by Hellenic American University, the Writing section is scored by two independent raters. In the case of significant difference between the scores of the two raters, a third rater is called to determine the final score. The raters have been trained and certified according to Hellenic American University standards.
The Speaking section is scored using scales and procedures established by Hellenic American University. The oral examiners have been trained and certified according to Hellenic American University standards. All tests are recorded.
Assessment principles of the ALCE™:
- The ALCE™ examination is scored using aggregate scoring. This means that students who do not achieve a passing score in one of the sections of the examination may be able to compensate by having a high score in other sections and thereby pass the examination as a whole. This method of scoring is appropriate for students of English who typically do not learn all of the English language skills at the same pace.
- Candidates with scores in the PASS (or higher) in all four sections or PASS (or higher) in three sections and a total score of 74 or more are awarded an ALCE™ certificate.
- Candidates who fail more than one section of the examination or candidates who do not achieve a total score of 74 or more are not awarded an ALCE™ certificate.
- An ALCE™ certificate is not awarded to candidates that have been absent from one or more sections. Any passing score they may have received for whichever section they were not absent from does not affect the final result.
- Hellenic American University allows candidates with disabilities to request special examination accommodations or modifications.
- Scoring Criteria for the ALCE™ Speaking Section (.pdf, 555 KB)
Scoring Criteria for the ALCE™ Writing Section (.pdf, 551 KB)
In this section:
Where to find us
Center for Examinations and Certifications
Switchboard: +30 2103680000
Fax: +30 2103634200