Founded in 1957, the Hellenic American Union is a public-service institution with an international focus and strong community commitment, dedicated to providing opportunities for a diverse range of audiences to encounter and benefit from innovative educational programs and cultural events. These programs are developed independently by the institution or in partnership with European and American educational and cultural organizations and aim to directly address emergent social or economic needs.
The institution is a not-for-profit association with historic ties to the United States and program links to Western European, American and Balkan institutions but is wholly autonomous and self-financing. Its non-profit status enables the institution to use income earned in its fee-bearing activities to subsidize a large number of free community-service activities and resources, such as its program of cultural events, its Library, youth outreach programs and teacher training seminars.
The Hellenic American Union is committed to providing equal opportunities for all members of its public and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, physical disability, or veteran status in its student admissions, recruitment, employment, evaluation, and advancement policies.
Since its establishment, the Hellenic American Union has encouraged the creation of a multicultural atmosphere in all its activities, welcoming students and visitors from all over the world. It is estimated that to date 2,700,000 persons from approximately 75 countries have enjoyed its services.
The Hellenic American Union:
- provides accessible, market-relevant, results-oriented training programs that lead to broadly recognized certification and draw upon innovative developments in educational technology and methodology. These programs range from basic skills training in foreign languages and computer literacy and vocational training programs to continuing professional education and higher education degree
- provides executive and diplomatic training to Governments and Embassies from member states in the European Union, including Greece. Additionally, over the years, Hellenic American Union expert trainers have trained groups from a variety of professions to function effectively and communicate in a range of diplomatic and international relations settings
- organizes high-visibility conferences and workshops that bring together policy-makers, technical experts, journalists and other professionals from Greece and abroad to address pressing social, economic and technological issues of current concern
- forges partnerships with organizations, institutions and individuals in Europe, Asia and the United States to promote an awareness of innovative cultural and educational developments in these countries and foster an appreciation of cultural diversity and pluralism, and at the same time to promote similar developments in Greek society and culture abroad
- develops, publishes and disseminates learning resources, including educational textbooks and digital learning material, that complement or replace in-class training
- develops, organizes and presents cultural programs in the visual and performing arts, as well as conferences, lecture series, artist workshops and demonstrations
- serves as a responsible institutional citizen in Greek society, both at the local and national level, by making its resources and facilities available to community-groups, offering training programs that draw upon institutional expertise and enhance the professional effectiveness of public - and private - school teachers and by providing life-long learning opportunities for neighborhood residents and in particular young people.
Recent Awards and Distinctions
European Language Label
The European Language Label is a European Union initiative that gives awards to innovative programs which focus on foreign language learning. The Hellenic American Union participated in the category of the competition entitled: “Language Skills and Labour” and received an award for the program “Greek on the Go” iPhone Application. Twenty projects were submitted from Greece, of which four, including the Hellenic American Union’s, were awarded the European Language Label. The award ceremony took place at the city of Kavala on Thursday, March 1st, 2012.
ETS 2011 Best Contribution to Market Research Award
During the 2012 ETS EMEA Regional Conference of the Educational Testing Service, the Hellenic American Union was selected among 75 organizations to be awarded the 2011 Best Contribution to Market Research Award for its contribution to the piloting of the TOEFL® Junior™ Test. Read more about the pilot study
In this section: