The American Library at the Hellenic American College
A Gift to the People of Greece
Located on the 4th floor of the Massalias 22 building, the Library houses over 35,000 titles in English and Greek, an online collection of over 250,000 digital books, subscriptions to major academic periodicals databases numbering 10,000,000 articles and a Rare Books collection.
The Library and its resources can be used by:
- Students in the Hellenic American College programs, including the Hellenic American University’s degree programs that are offered at the Hellenic American College via an Agreement of Cooperation;
- Members of the general public, including students at the Hellenic American Union and students at Greek public universities, upon registering as members of the Library (please note that there may be some restrictions on the use of certain collections).
Registered members of the Library can use the Library’s digital resources on site at the Library, but only Hellenic American College students can access these resources off-site. Exceptions to this policy are made on a case-by-case basis.
Registered members can also use borrow books from the Library’s lending collections.
Winter hours (11 September – 30 June)
- Monday-Thursday: 9:00-20:00
- Friday: 9:00-18:00
- Saturday: Closed
Summer Hours (1 July – 10 September)
- Monday-Thursday: 9:00-18:30
- Friday: 9:00-17:00
- Saturday: Closed
►The Library will remain closed to the public on official holidays and in August.
►Under certain circumstances, the Library opening hours may change. In that event, an announcement will be posted.
The history of the Library began in the late 1940s with the establishment of the United States Information Service (USIS) American Library in Greece, a gift of the American people to the people of Greece. This Library moved from its premises in Stadiou Street to the facilities of the Hellenic American Union in 1962. In 1997, the Hellenic American Union assumed the public collections of the American Library, which it merged with the material in the Hellenic American Union’s Clary Thompson Library and its collection, Books on Greece. The Library collections were enriched over the years with the establishment of the American Corner (another gift to the Greek people), the purchase of thousands of additional print titles, subscriptions to periodicals databases and the acquisition of 65,000 digital books. In 2011, the Hellenic American Union transferred the entire Library to the Hellenic American College.
The Library is a member of:
- ALA (American Libraries Associations)
- IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions)
- Associations of Greek Librarians and Information Scientists