Approaches to EFL Teaching: Learning Difficulties
Almost in all EFL study groups there are students with learning difficulties across all levels. It is important all students be included and given equal opportunity to learn a foreign language. In this framework teachers are expected to accommodate their teaching, requirements and examination preparation techniques to meet the needs of students with learning difficulties.
This interactive webinar places emphasis on the learning skills students should develop and the differentiated teaching techniques necessary in order for them to reach their potential. The teaching principles and practices explored during the webinar will help teachers more effectively prepare their students for English language certification examinations while enhancing their own teaching skills.
- Familiarize yourselves with the term “Learning difficulties”
- Understand how SLDs affect different learning skills
- Be exposed to differentiated teaching methods to be used in TEFL
- Employ selected teaching strategies for each skill according to level of difficulty
- Practice teaching strategies using preparation materials in the process
Conceptualizing Learning Difficulties
- General framework
- Learning difficulties and EFL teaching
Skills based differentiated teaching strategies in EFL
- GVR skills, difficulties and strategies
- Writing skills, difficulties and strategies
- Listening and speaking skills, difficulties and strategies
Georgia Douska is a teacher of English, specialized in Learning Difficulties screening and intervention. She has a degree in English and postgraduate degrees in Education/Special Educational Needs (Cardiff University, UK) and Autism Spectrum Disorders (EKΠΑ). Over the last 18 years, she has been assessing and planning intervention programs for students with learning difficulties. She designs and applies specialized techniques and study material to help students learn the language and participate in exams in order to get the necessary competency certificates. She is also a certified oral examiner since 2004.