Approaches to EFL Teaching: Learning difficulties and writing skills development
Almost in all EFL study groups there are students with learning difficulties at all levels. It is imperative all students be included and given equal opportunity to learn a foreign language.
Teaching writing to students with learning difficulties is a challenging and at times difficult to apply task for both teachers and students.
In this interactive webinar participants will gain insight into the difficulties students with learning difficulties face in writing as well as the differentiated teaching techniques necessary to help them develop their writing skills and reach their potential. The principles and practices presented during the webinar will also help teachers prepare their students for certification examinations while enhancing their own teaching skills.
- Familiarize yourselves with the term ‘Learning difficulties’
- Understand the difficulties students with LD face in writing
- Be exposed to differentiated teaching techniques in writing for students with LD
- Practice teaching strategies and plan writing tasks for students with LD
Part 1: Introduction
- Learning difficulties and EFL teaching
- Presentation of challenges students with LD face in writing
Part 2: Teaching writing to students with learning difficulties
- Understanding the task
- Organizing ideas
- Outlining, paragraph forming
- Connection and development of ideas
- Improving linguistic range and control
Part 3: Questions/Discussion
Georgia Douska is a teacher of English, specialized in Learning Difficulties screening and intervention. She has a degree in English and postgraduate degrees in Education/Special Educational Needs (Cardiff University, UK) and Autism Spectrum Disorders (EKΠΑ). Over the last 18 years, she has been assessing and planning intervention programs for students with learning difficulties. She designs and applies specialized techniques and study material to help students learn the language and participate in exams in order to get the necessary competency certificates. She is also a certified oral examiner since 2004.