Approaches to EFL Teaching: Presenting new language to young learners with learning difficulties
Almost in all EFL study groups there are students with learning difficulties across all levels. It is important all students be included and given equal opportunity to learn a foreign language. In this framework teachers are expected to accommodate their teaching techniques to meet the needs of students with learning difficulties, especially in early stages.
This interactive webinar places emphasis on the differentiated teaching techniques necessary in order for young learners with learning difficulties to be introduced to, understand and acquire the English language.
- Introduction to the field of “Learning difficulties”
- Understanding the importance of Phonological Awareness in early stages of language learning
- Presentation of differentiated teaching methods for young learners
- Practice teaching strategies and lesson plan design
Part 1: Introduction
- General framework: learning difficulties in the classroom
- Dyslexia / ADHD : definitions and common characteristics
- Learning difficulties and EFL
Part 2: Skills based differentiated teaching strategies in EFL for young learners
- Presentation of difficulties usually encountered
- Phonological awareness and language learning
- Differentiated teaching strategies for Reading, Spelling, Grammar and Sentence structure
- Presentation of differentiated teaching materials including tasks and activities
Georgia Douska is a teacher of English, specialized in Learning Difficulties screening and intervention. She has a degree in English and postgraduate degrees in Education/Special Educational Needs (Cardiff University, UK) and Autism Spectrum Disorders (EKΠΑ). Over the last 18 years, she has been assessing and planning intervention programs for students with learning difficulties. She designs and applies specialized techniques and study material to help students learn the language and participate in exams in order to get the necessary competency certificates. She is also a certified oral examiner since 2004.