Project Initiation and Requirements Development Workshop
Review simple project initiation techniques and establishing firm requirements for projects
This special seminar addresses project scope development, requirements definition and management and stakeholder engagement and mapping.
The seminar will show you simple techniques for initializing a project and establishing firm requirements. It is fast-moving, focused, and includes several group work case studies.
- Initiate projects and develop the business case
- Define requirements, why they are different from goals and objectives
- Manage requirements to avoid scope and feature creep
- Manage stakeholders by analyzing requirements and negotiating effectively
- Manage changes in requirements
- Development of the business case
- Reasons, options, measurable benefits, cost and time estimates at high level, major risks
- Alignment to business strategy
The project charter
- Defining the role of the champion in senior management by looking at customer requirements, problems, opportunities, and the business case for the company
- Defining how the project fits within the company strategy through the project charter
- Planning initiation by the project team
Definition of a requirement
- Implicit vs explicit
- Key project definitions from Aims to Requirements
- Examples of the difference between scope, objectives, and requirements
Introduction to requirements, objectives and stakeholder management
- Where do requirements fit in the planning process?
- Requirements management
- The requirements process
- Enganging stakeholders
- Requirements development
- Requirements control
- History of requirements - do you know where they came from?
Workshop: Participants will develop project initiation documents using a case study.
Managing requirements - a systematic approach
- Elicit requirements from stakeholders
- Agreement establishment and maintenance
- Traceability of requirements
- Four controls of requirements
- Problems resolution: trigger, problem statement, and proposed solution
Requirements management process flow
- Learn how to translate business requirements to customer requirements to system/functional requirements.
- Learn how to elicit, analyze, specify, and validate requirements
- Requirements development
- Stakeholders definition
- Stakeholder mapping
- The difference between clocker and champion, and their influence level
- Stakeholder requirements definition
- Requirements' interpretation techniques
Requirements analysis and negotiation
- The practical flow from analysis through negotiation to agreement.
- Requirements classification
- Requirements lists and quantitative analysis
- “Needs vs benefits” analysis
- Requirements prioritization using MoSCoW.
- The difference between Infrastructure, Performance, and Interface requirements
Errors, problems, and successes in project goals and objectives
- Typical errors made when writing project objectives.
- The results of poorly written objectives given to contractors
- The impact of change and how to manage it
- Characteristics of successfully defining objectives, scope and requirements.
- Three step process to success
Workshop: Participants will develop a list of requirements and prioritize using a case study
|Instructor||Tony Eve, PMP, P2, MAPM|
|Prerequisites||Basic project management knowledge|
|Who should attend||Project Managers, project team members, operational managers involved in the project planning phase|
|Certificate of Attendance||Yes|
|Certification Track||PMP, IPMA|
|Continuing Education Credits||8 PDUs|
|Available to Buy Online||No|
|Partner Institution||Business Management Consultants|
In this section:
The PMI Registered Provider logo
is a registered mark of the
Project Management Institute, Inc.